Introduction to Hainan's Hot Springs
If you have never felt the caress of a gentle ocean breeze, while basking in the glow of the warm afternoon sun, then you don't know what you are missing!
Fine white sand, crystal clear water, and the different flavors of the local culture are just the beginning of a tropical vacation in paradise. A few million years ago, a shift in the Earth's tectonic plates led to the creation of the Island of Hainan. The shifting plates that created this island paradise also left it with a legacy of geothermal resources and hot springs unparalleled in Asia.
On average, every 100 square kilometers of Hainan has at least one naturally occurring hot spring – the highest density in China. The various hot springs in Hainan are rich and wide ranging, from barely warm, to scalding hot, pure fresh water to mineral laden pools of sulfur and iron. It has been scientifically proven that regular bathing in hot springs has highly beneficial effects on a wide range of medical conditions, including rheumatoid arthritis, herniated discs, hypertension, coronary heart disease, skin disease, neuritis and many others.
The underlying geological structure of Hainan means that hot springs are concentrated primarily in the southeast and northwestern corners of the island. A total of 34 naturally occurring hot springs have been discovered and verified throughout the island. Springs can be found in the southern Wenchang Country, the eastern parts of Qionghai and Wanning Countries, the south central part of Lingshui and Sanya Countries, the west side of Dongfang Country, central Cahngjiang, western Baisha Country, eastern Danzhou and the southern half of Chengmai Country. To date Qionghai Country's Dongyu Island and Guantang Hot Springs, Xinglong Town in Wanning, Nantian Pearl River and Yanglan near Sanya City, Baoting's Seven Fairies' Ridge and Danzhou's Lanyang Hot Springs have been developed into attractive tourist destinations.
Tourists visiting the hot springs of Hainan can also enjoy a wide variety of spa treatments such as aromatherapy, massage, physiotherapy, and Chinese traditional medicine. These treatments have been specially designed to take advantage of the unique resources provided by these natural wonders. The local hot springs, spa resorts and hotels offer the perfect opportunity for relaxation and a chance to escape the stress of the outside world. There are also a variety of beauty, body and physical health packages, which offer the chance to enjoy the hot springs while pampering the mind, body and spirit.
- It is unwise to exceed 30 minutes at a time in the hot spring. If your pulse is over 120 beats per minute or you feel very tired you should immediately cease soaking and cool off.
- The third or fifth day after the beginning of spa therapy often produces a disagreeable condition known as a "Spa Reaction". The intensity and duration of Spa Reaction differs from person to person. It may cause pain in various parts of the body that may not have been effected before. Take a good rest between soaks. Spending too many days in a row at the hot springs may eventually lead to a build up tolerance and a decrease in the effectiveness.
- Because of the high temperatures, bathing in hot springs is a lot like mild to moderate activity. Although it is relaxing it is also tiring. You should wait at least two hours after getting out of the springs before you drive.
- Some metals may react to the minerals in hot springs. So take off any metallic jewelry before you soak or it may tarnish.
The following Types of People Should NOT Bathe in Hot Springs
- People with skin allergies;
- Pregnant Women;
- People who have recently had surgery;
- People with insomnia;
- People with heart disease or high blood pressure.
Bubble Spa Direction
- Take a thorough shower. Do not jump straight into the pool. Test the water temperature first!
- Feet first: Gradually soak your feet and then your hands. Let your body become accustomed to the water temperature.
- Move from low to medium temperature one step at a time.
- Select from the available spa pools for the type of cure you seek.
- Spend about 15 minutes in each pool. Make sure to leave a suitable interval between soaks so as to avoid dizzinese or dry mouth.
- Take another shower with fresh water. Minimize the use of shampoos or body lotions.
- Get a massage. This final step will serve to further enhance your relaxation and the effectiveness of the hot spring's health care functions.